Friday, January 14, 2011

playing with plying

In my quest to not have extra yarn on one bobbin while plying (so annoying) I've been trying out different plying methods. I tried N-plying and it definitely has it's uses, like if the yarn has big chunks of color... but for every day plying I'm not a huge fan. It leaves little bumps in the yarn and kind of hurts my back because you have to do a lot of moving (which is why I switched from a drop spindle to a wheel). My friend Jack told me to check out Andean plying and I found this youtube video!



I basically adopted it for a wheel, instead of turning the bracelet into a center pulled ball (I HATE those! they always make a mess) I wrapped it back onto one of my kromski bobbins and than plyed on my wheel.  The only things that are annoying are because of how I hold yarn while plying (I separate the two strands between my fingers, so they don't start getting twisty until after my hand) it kind of knotted up behind my fingers a little and I had to stop separating the strands and just pull the yarn through my fingers tightly to keep it from bunching up. Also you don't get a huge bobbin of yarn like you do going from two full 4oz bobbins. Overall I liked it way better than the two bobbin method for my own yarn but if I'm selling it I'll stick with two bobbins because people tend to like bigger skeins.

No comments:

Post a Comment