Saturday, February 19, 2011

How to make awesome rolags from combed top without carding anything! (but you do need a pair of hand carders)

I prefer spinning from rolags these days but all I have around the house is combed top, this is how I turn my top into rolags without a mess or much effort

First I break the top up into chunks after weighing it, when I spin rolags I typically spin them x# of white to x# of colored rolags so I need to count how many I'm making. This is 4oz of white merino broken into 34 pieces.


Take one of your carders and lay it across your leg like this


Lay your piece of top down on the carder like this

Push down on the fiber with your hand so it all goes into the carder and hold your hand there


While holding your hand there, grab the top with your other hand (using the pressure from your hand that's on the carder to keep it from moving) and pull until you get a nice neat amount pulled off on the carder


Fill up the carder evenly


Roll it up like a rolag you just carded :)

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll try this! It could help make a faux gradient spinning project as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, thanks for sharing, I have just started spinning and was so thankful that I discovered rolags!

    ReplyDelete